Guide on Finding a Solicitor
The guidance below sets out how to locate a list of solicitors when issuing a letter before proceedings or care proceedings. Social Workers should provide details to parents/interested parties regarding how to locate the list of solicitors via the Law Society website. It may be appropriate to enter the town in which the parent/interested party resides if the address is on the county border.
Social workers should also ensure that the list of solicitors is printed off and provided to parents/interested parties whenever a letter before proceedings or care proceedings is issued.
A list of solicitors can be found on the Law Society website by following the instructions below:
- Go to www.lawsociety.org.uk;
- Click on “Find a Solicitor” next to The Law Society logo;
- The “pro search” should automatically show;
- Under “Type”, “Organisation” will automatically be selected;
- Deselect “including in-house legal teams, government departments and other employers”;
- Enter the location;
- Under “Area of Practice” select “Children”;
- Under “Second Area of Practice” select “Family”;
- Click on “More Options” and select “Accepts Legal Aid”;
- Click “Search”;
- The page will then show the results of solicitors firms within a 25 mile radius of the location you have entered.