Notifications from Other Local Authorities
SCOPE OF THIS CHAPTERThis chapter addresses the action to be taken on receipt of a notification from another local authority that a Child in Care has been placed at an address in this authority.
Where a Child in Care is placed by a local authority in the area of another local authority, notification must be made by the placing authority to the local authority's Children's Social Care Services where the child's placement is located.
The Education Service and the relevant Health Trust for the area in which the Child in Care is placed must also be notified.
The notification will include the address where the child is placed.
The Local Authority where the child is placed must maintain a register of Children in Care for whom it is responsible and all other Children in Care placed in its area, including those children who are the responsibility of another local authority.
2. The Register of Children in Care
The Register should include the following information in relation to each child:
- The name, gender and date of birth of the child;
- The name and address of the person with whom the child is placed and, if different, the name and address of the child's parents and all those with Parental Responsibility;
- The name of the placing authority;
- Whether the child has a Child Protection Plan;
- Whether the child is Disabled;
- The date on which the placement was made and the date when it terminated including the reason for the termination;
- The child's legal status;
- Where arrangements have been made by the host local Children's Social Care Services to undertake the duties of the placing local authority; what those arrangements are and the name of the person within the placing authority with whom they were agreed.
3. Maintaining the Register
The Designated Manager is responsible for maintaining the register of Children in Care (see Section 1, Introduction).
This register must include:
- Children in Care looked after by the authority;
- Children in Care from another local authority but placed within the authority, where there has been agreement that the authority will carry out some of the responsibilities of the placing local authority;
- Children in Care from another local authority but placed within the authority, where the placing local authority continues to carry out all the functions in relation to the child.
The Management Information Team will ensure that the following teams / agencies are notified:
- The Health Service;
- The Education Welfare Service.